11 Fun Facts about Chiropractic
Do you think you know everything there is to know about chiropractic care?
Here are 11 fun facts about chiropractic you might not know:
- The word “chiropractic” is a combination of two Greek words: “cheir,” which means hand, and “praktos,” which means done. The term “chiropractic” literally means “done by hand.”
- Nearly 1 in every 10 Americans visits a chiropractor each year, making them the third largest grouping of medical practitioners.
- The first chiropractic adjustment was given in 1895 by Daniel David Palmer. His adjustments helped Harvey Lillard, a janitor, regain the hearing he had lost 17 years prior in an accident.
- Chiropractors put in an estimated 4,200 hours – or 175 total days – into classroom, lab, and clinical instruction in their four-year doctoral programs before they can become Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs).
- There are an estimated 95,000 DCs practicing globally, and approximately 10,000 chiropractic students in the United States alone.
- An estimated 35 million Americans are treated by DCs annually.
- Each day, more than 1 million chiropractic adjustments take place across the globe!
- Chiropractors are used by 32 NFL teams to boost performance, maintain wellness, and treat injuries.
- Chiropractic care is recognized and regulated by law in more than 40 countries and all 50 states.
- Treatment for low back pain initiated by a DC costs up to 20 percent less than when treated by a primary care doctor.
- An injured worker is 28 percent less likely to have spinal surgery if the first point of contact in treatment is a DC instead of a surgeon.
Skilled Chiropractic Care in Frederick, MD
At Lipinski Chiropractic, we believe in using chiropractic care not just for correcting an injury, but also as a way to preserve overall health and wellness. Routine chiropractic adjustments can help reduce pain and inflammation, decrease injuries, and boost overall performance in sports and other activities. See what chiropractic care can do for you – Schedule an appointment today!